Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Hard to say good-bye to a GOOD Ol' BOY..."Zac" (06/24/94 - 05/05/11)

The younger Zac!

Serious side of Zac (there weren't too many!)

Baby Jesse learning how to destroy from the master of destruction!

My best friend closed his eyes today,
As his head was in my hand.
The doctors said he was in pain,
And it was hard for him to stand.
The thoughts that scurried through my head as I cradled him in my arms,
Were of his younger puppy years and oh so many charms.
Today there was no gentle nudge with an intense “I love you” gaze,
Only a heart filled with tears, remembering our joyful days.
But then an angel appeared to me and said,
“You should cry no more,
God loves all our animal friends and He installed a doggy door!”
It all started about 16 years ago. An old sheepdog trainer of mine had a litter, of what I would call somewhat dysfunctional puppies. The litter had 4 (2 with cleft pallets were put down) and 2 remained; a white one and a black & white one. The white one I adored...why? who knows..so I bought her. I named her Divinity and went on with her to do some not so great things in our herding endeavor. (Although she was white, she was equivalent to a white buffalo on sheep) I named her "Divinity" and she got trained, how I don't know..but went on to be a bomb proof dog in many ways.

Long after the purchase of the pup, I would frequent the same ranch and always remember "the problem child". He had been sold, only to bite the new owner, he chased mailmen, he chased UPS, he went BIZERK and tore anything to pieces in his range when a diesel engine started. There were buckets hanging in trees above him from these (doggie turret syndrome fits). I asked the friend "what are you going to do with that thing?" She had no plan for poor "Satan" (that was his original name, then changed to Ben after the many returns from various owners.) I said well since I now have a ranch I will take him as an outside guard dog, and will call him ZAC.

It was love at first sight for Zac..I got him home and he never left my side...and he never slept outside. He slept at the foot of my bed, big as he is..curly hair draping over the blankets.

It's been a long road with our problem child, the chasing cars, and attacking diesel trucks never subsided. He however has provided years of entertainment for us and many friends. He never was a barn burner on the sheep, but he did enough to make himself proud. You could always hand Zac a towel and growl, and he would have a fit and swing that towel and growl and bark at the towel, and make us laugh. He broke his hock sometime back, and yes, $4000.00 later he was healed!!

Then there was the time we lost Zac...when I say lost I mean LOST. We were at a dog trial in Mountainair New Mexico..up at 4:00 for the dog trial when Ron says "I et Zac out last night to go potty" "Did you chain him?" "uh No" uh oh...out the door we go and he is gone...why he strayed from the trailer we'll never know. We searched and searched...I told Ron I am not leaving here until we find him dead or alive. We put flyer's all over town...and finally 4 days later...someone called and said I have your dog. He was headed down the interstate (yes in the right direction for home) and was 12 miles from the trial site. It was grueling heat in the summer month of July...he was covered in cactus quills, his feet were worn off, and he was thirsty and hungry. HE WAS OK!! So yes trials and tribulations to keep this dog safe!! 

Serious about his fetch (2009) retired dog play day!
Zac at Bodega Bay loving paying on the beach 2003

Zac and Divinity's last hurrah!
We will miss Zac so much, and the place will be so quiet, he has always had a hang up with Zippo (the 2 grumpy old men) they have always had the competition of who could steal who's bed the fastest and piss each other off. Zac was also the best puppy raiser, he loved the little one's and up untl the last days, the youngster's never failed to lick his face as fast as they could!

So to Zac, you can have all the diesels, mail men, UPS trucks, tractors and towels in heaven. Rest in Peace our fine buddy we will miss you so much. Zac has been buried and lies beneath a beautiful oak tree next to his sister "Divinity" and the original matriarch "Gaya".

4 comments:

  1. Zac was the first dog I used to help Jennifer train over at a place we call Hooks. A large field that is about 600 yards across. Jennifer was at one end and I at the other. I held sheep for her outrun and the plan was for me to send Zac and fetch the sheep for her to outrun again. Sheep are down by Jennifer and I send Zac. He takes off like a bat out of hell and does a beautiful outrun, gets to the sheep, does not slow down and laps the entire field. He passes me and is still running like his tails on fire. He passes Jennifer at the other end a second time and she attempts to call him off. Zac says "no f'n way". Four laps around the field later, he finally gets tired and stops, looks up at us and has the look on his face of "how did I do?"... One of many priceless moments with Zac over the years... He is a good "ol boy which is the highest or best thing I can say. Zacko!!! You will be dearly missed... Love you boy!!! Papa...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Later one I used Zac to set sheep for Jennifer using a Flexi-leash!!! LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep he was lacking talent, but not personality!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer and Ron, so sorry for you loss.

    ReplyDelete