Thursday, July 18, 2013

Ewe Suck

Yep, that's how we roll! We put countless hours into putting on dog trials to make them suck.

From countless hours of mowing the field to dirt, buying supplies, picking up food supplies, porta potties, hand sanitizer, soap, cold jugs of water, lemonade, banana bread for handlers breakfast, homemade chocolate cake for dessert, preparing the sheep, allowing my lambs to be chased all over and run into fences by heinous dogs, opening our pool to everyone, having a big handlers dinner Saturday night..furnishing tables and seats at said dinner..yeah..we pretty much suck.

Hired judged, hired set out..course director..yeah we suck.
Shaded parking..flat rv parking..yep it all sucks.

What I think sucks? People complaining..

Just a few examples..

As Sharon Roman put it.."we all know you are not nice" ok..
(The above comment stems from a handler saying "you are so nice to let us ruin your lambs")(insert above)


As Suzanne Anaya put it..
"my dogs had 300 foxtails"..
"The outrun is trickery if you don't work on that field"
"I have no idea why the judge did this or that"
"It was too hot"
"My sheep broke forward on the outrun"- but my dog didn't cause it..
"There were red ants everywhere"

The funny bi-polar ism is "thank you for such a great trial"

Ok so here's the scoop..

We have been putting on dog trials for over 10 years..on this field..this field is not exclusive to me and my students. An outrun is an outrun, your dog either does it or not. This trial is run from my back pasture (opposite of the big New Years trial) last year my dog crossed over at my feet, that tells you how often I practice it.










Ron spent countless hours mowing the field to dirt..there are no fox tails, unless perhaps you turn your dogs loose in the evening to run like idiots into the places the mower can't go..in that case that's your problem.

The foxtails...




The judge..everyone has their day..sometimes we are wearing rose colored glasses..for every point lost, you will unfairly gain one at the next trial.

These were Rambouillet sheep..if they broke forward on the outrun ( I can only recall 1 time) perhaps your glasses are dusty..and maybe the dog was dirty..

The outrun..



There are a few ants..but saying everywhere is sensationalized..I went out to take a photo I could only find a red ant.


The ant is here somewhere..




Scoreboards..




Shade canopies




The sheep

So..folks..keep in mind at the next trial when you go to grab that glass of ice water or lemonade it might not be there. We do things that go the extra mile..but there might come a time when we just say "this sucks".

The end

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that people complained! I would have loved an opportunity to run on that field with rambouilett sheep!!! So sad that I don't live close enough! I practice on rocks with prickly pear and other stickery stuff and our trials here are usually dorpers - Maybe some day I'll make it there!! I might even have one glass of lemonade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a really nice time until I read your interpretation. Heat, foxtails and red ants can be expected in SoCal.

    ReplyDelete