Thursday, April 4, 2013

Don't forget sometimes Ewe need to take a step back!

Just a quick training message...

This is a baby picture of Plaid

I know very hard to resist...

anyway onto the training...this is Plaid now

He grew up into quite the dog. He will be 2 in October...so where am I going with this? He's my topic for this week. I am training a lot of young dogs right now...(not all mine) but this is I think MY FAVORITE!

Sometimes though when he's working he doesn't change sides with the heads of the sheep on a fetch..and sometimes he likes to slice behind the sheep on a flank...Flaws?? Noooooo...He loves to drive...but also he's a good outrunner..(best of both worlds!)

So that said..the outrun (Outline) has been established ...this is how you do it...and it's good...going a nice distance independently from me..I'm happy (for now) The drive (outline) has been established (Ok you were born knowing how to drive and inside flank) Good that's done!! When I say done..I don't mean finished...I mean for now it's all in place....okay..so..where were those baby flaws??

Let me take a step back and "fix" those things..one those few items are "fixed" all the rest will fall into place.

I just want to remind people DON'T FORGET TO TAKE A STEP BACK...there is no problem and it's not a big deal to do this!! Everyone wants to get it bigger, instead of getting better...just a reminder ..

Sometimes we need to review the alphabet before spelling a word!!

That's all..Happy Herding!


8 comments:

  1. I am confused. He does inside flanks and that is good. Is this taught so young or developed? Also, not sure driving is natural to BCs. Guess that is incorrect on my part. THanks Jen.
    Narita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Narita.. I was hoping to open dialogue! He's a natural driver most are not, he's an easy dog to inside flank on the drive because he naturally wants to balance onto the sheep on the drive.. But that said doesn't mean he's balancing perfect to me on the fetch!! That's why I go back and make sure he is!! Thanks for asking!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you teach him to switch sides with the heads on the fetch by flanking him (showing him) or do you give a correction or something a bit of both or something entirely else???? He sounds like a keeper for sure!!!

    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lora I prefer to put them on sheep that are not broke and I just shoosh and " there" and praise, I try not to command it because that makes a listener not a thinker!! Dog broke sheep don't work for this as they give the dog a false sense of balance, that said I put them on something in the middle ( sheep wise) not broke not wild, I walk figure eights and do a shorter version if the outrun! After 2 days he's already figured it out but I won't quit just yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, your word picture of figure 8 fetching makes so much sense! I see what you were saying and great idea! I brought in new sheep just for the girls and look forward to weaning where the lambs will do just what you have explained. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back to basics and fundamentals occasionally makes so much sense and so many of us forget. Get it right before getting it bigger - good advice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Pat..often times people feel like they are not making quick progress with a young dog...(ie: We've been flanking forever it seems) but there is no point in moving on until that foundation piece is solid...and always be ready to re visit that foundation...remember grout cracks..foundations crack...sometimes those foundations are in need of repair...not always does it mean we scrap the whole house...we need to mend things as we see fit. What's the point of a big outrun if the dog can't do a proper flank...or fetch...just food for thought!

    ReplyDelete