Tuesday, August 14, 2012

What makes a good dog..and trainer..

We often ask ourselves..

People like their own breeding..they seem to suit..we know their holes, weaknesses and strengths.

I have the opportunity to have my hands on a lot of youngsters; for clients and for myself.

I can asses them pretty quickly..

There is cast and no cast...In my opinion I NEED CAST...I don't want to much, or even big...flanks can be tight, but flanking is a must..I want a dog to move around the sheep freely.

I don't want triangles, I want circles..the dog that won't give me this is a NO for me. The border collie should be PRE-PROGRAMMED with this trait.

I don't want a "driver" at 1 year old..I want a flanker..Outruns in the future that are GOOD are a must..I can teach one to drive.

I want balance.. I want self control..I like confident and brave..I don't mind grip, but I do mind malicious..

I think as breeders we need to understand "every dog won't make it". We all love our dogs...but not all dogs are created equal. It doesn't matter "what the litter mates do"  these are all individuals.

It's hard for people to understand this..just because they like sheep doesn't make them a trial dog.

Why do breeders get so offended when he dogs don't make grade?? (don't do the breeding again..) simple solution..some breeding's work out and some do not. It's probably not the end of the world..It's not embarrassing..it is what it is..the problem perpetuates when these breeding's are repeated so why breed again before the "first batch" is tried out..this I cannot answer..

If you have a good trainer...that has a god reputation, that has good dogs consistently, and they say to you "this dog won't make it" why question that? There is no secret solution..there is a limit to how much pressure a good trainer is willing to apply..to make the dog preform, so why do people want more pressure applied?

Sometimes you need to trust who you work with, or find another trainer. Why would a trainer turn down money?? I would be glad that trainer wasn't willing to just rip you off...

Anyway just some food for thought..would love to hear everyone speak on this..How much pressure are you willing to apply to make a dog "decent"...






5 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Jennifer.
    I am not a breeder but I especially appreciated your comment about not breeding more pups until the first "batch" is tried out. But that isn't the way things seem to go once a stud dog gets popular. And yes, littermates are not cookie cutters of one another, usually.
    I am sorry there has not been more discussion of this post because I would like to read what others more knowledgeable than I would have to say about it. Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well billy, people are just afraid to speak up :-) however I'm not!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm reading this for the 3rd time since I value your opinion. And, I'm still not sure what you mean by your last line, "How much pressure is too much pressure?" I'm not sure I understand the 'context' of that line?
    I do understand that pups from the same litter can work very differently. I have had only one adult litter. I have one outstanding worker, and a couple of so-so workers and one dud (who is living the good life in Hawaii hiking). But, a lot plays out on the handler/training of the dog. The so-so's might have been outstanding with the right skill. Who knows. My 2nd and last litter, it remains to be seen what we have in the way of working stock. Same bitch, different sire. All with great blood lines, so hopefully something nice will pop up.
    I do not get offended easily. I know what I like. I'm not a national contender. I'm a hobby trialer, if you will. And, I'm always learning. I can see the "holes" in my dogs. Sometimes a good handler can pick out the subtle points I cannot see. I don't have the experience to see. I love a revelation or two when I spend money for input.
    So, are you saying....If I tell you your dog is crap, why won't you accept it? My guess is because they love their dog and are still dreaming that one day the dog will figure it all out. Just sayin'. I may have missed the whole point here :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's asking exactly that..if you tell a new handler the dog kwont do this, and they persist cause maybe the dog is so so..how much pressure should we apply before we wash the dog out? I have a client with a dog that has no natural talent.. So how much pressure should I apply to make the dog do it? My answer is none..it's not worth it for the dog sake..so how much would you apply would you keep trying or throw in the towel. Would you ignore the fact it has not a natural bone in its body and just make it listen or?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It is my opinion that your dog doesn't have the right type of talent for working sheep. He may be brilliant in another type of sport. I don't want to put anymore pressure on the dog or take anymore money from you."
    Period. It's your call. You're the trainer.
    Then whatever they want to do they are going to do it, eh?

    ReplyDelete