Monday, June 13, 2011

Not the norm..but just as rewarding..well almost!

Aren't I cute Jesse?
Every couple of years the sheltie rescue group of San Diego contacts me for a group instinct test. Well as much grief as I take from my peers I always agree to do it. I would NOT do it if it were a group of AKC showdog fanciers, but this is far from that. A lot of these little dogs, started in a rough spot. They have been taken in by rescue, rehabilitated and re-homed. So this weekend was the weekend we had 20 or so shelties to instinct test! 
Really how can you resist me?

We had to modify a pen to work them in because as most of you know, I do not have round pens and arena's, I generally start all dogs in the field. Soooo we modified the round pen, we used 3 sheep at a time,  we had water, we had shade, all in all we set it up as if we were having a miniature dog trial. I use a border collie in the pen at the same time. This year I was just not sure who I could use, I am strapped with young dogs that don't need stimulation, and Ron's dogs 1 which is sore and the other which is Jesse. I used Patrick's Rylee most of the day (who was great) and I used Jesse. The shelties are notorious for pinning the sheep on the fence and well that's just that. A lot of the shelties have plenty of instinct to chase, not necessarily to herd. Their people just want to see their dogs do something, therefore I do not push the envelope for perfection.. Why? Because the little one's will lose their spirit, and it's really not important. These people that own these dogs will never herd sheep, it's just all about a fun day for the meet up group. We had a really grand time withe the people, and the dogs. All but 1 dog did something...that was really cool!! It will be 2 more years before I see them again, but it feels good to know that Ron and I made their day, dogs and humans alike!

1 comment:

  1. I think that it is a great service you provide to those dogs and their owners. They try new things together and get out in the beautiful back country and fresh air. I wish that we had been able to do something like this with our Shelties when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete